Sunday, March 16

Spring arrived!

Timing couldn't be better. While SPRING arrived in the Netherlands, I got the opportunity to pick up the new Nikon AF-S VR 600/4.0G lens at a dealer. I had eagerly waited for this moment. My 'good old' 200-400/4.0 didn't gave me enough reach for wildlife photography since I'm using a full-frame Nikon D3.
Weather conditions were fine for photography last friday and saturday. I went to polder Arkemheen, which is one of those areas in the Netherlands were small-scale meadow landscape is preserved. The area is well-known for its healthy hare population and its native numbers of meadow bird species such as lapwings, black-tailed godwits, and redshanks. It was fun to experience the amount of energy that explodes during spring. The male hares were chasing behind the females. The male birds were trying to obtain attention with displaying flights and 'macho' behaviour. To experience this was breath-taking and it made me very happy. I spend about an hour with a hare that wasn't shy at all. I could get out of the car and was allowed to come quite close (about 6 m). Was he or she exhausted by the mating season? The animal wasnt upset at all by my presence. It was grooming its fur, feeding, resting, and moving. Beautiful photographíc opportunities from a low viewing point!

Nikon D3, AF-S VR 600/4.0 with 1.4 TC


All over the place, the males of the black-tailed godwit tried to attract the attention of the females with impressive displaying flights and by showing their colourful plumage. During displaying, they show their black and white pattern on the tail by spreading those feathers. This adult male was walking towards a female bird with a very proud, almost arrogant, expression in its eyes.

Nikon D3, AF-S VR 600/4.0 with 1.4 TC


I'm energized for the new season!
Dirk-Jan