Friday, May 7

Greppelveld, Flevoland


Dear reader,

Usually, my feelings about nature development projects are not that positive. Terms that come into my mind are artificial, non-natural, ......... it's my personal conviction that nature cannot be made. But, I believe I need to change my mind?! A few years ago, the people of Flevo landschap created a special reserve for meadow birds near my hometown. The area is called Greppelveld and is managed minimally. I visit the area regularly since last winter and always get interesting sightings. A fair amount of meadow birds, e.g. lapwings, curlews, and white-tailed godwits, have been breeding in the Greppelveld this spring. These species are under pressure because their habitats are disappearing. I'm glad they found a new home made by people!

Cheers,
Dirk-Jan