Monday, April 13

Hawfinches!

A dream species in front of the forest hide. He, the male hawfinch, appeared on saturday afternoon only for a few minutes. Few opportunities for photos but none of them were completely satisfactory to me. Would he return? Was there a female as well? Are they breeding in the neighbourhood? Was this only migration? Lots of questions...........

I spend three hours in the hide on sunday together with my family. Unfortunately, no hawfinches. Another attempt on monday and yes ...... he returned. This time he brought his female as well. They came back together twice within a few hours. The light was excellent during their second visit, which last for about 15 minutes. Lots of pictures, some of them are shown below. Hopefully they stay with me for the coming breeding season. Let's see. I can never get enough of such beautiful birds.


Best regards,
Dirk-Jan